Wednesday, January 6, 2021

Brent’s Travels 2021 - A Question



There I am!  This was April 2019 in Alabama with the SE GTG.  I’m in shorts and tee and in my element, enjoying my travels and being warmer in winter.

I left my friends in Utah this past spring and drove straight home to avoid the pandemic.  Little did I know that when I left I was still relatively safe wearing my homemade mask, compared to today with 3+ thousand die a day in the US and a mutated virus with the potential to make things worse.

Coming home a month early gave me the opportunity to work on many things at home and during the summer visiting my camp working there, but staying to myself, not to worry the locals.

As usual, at the end of August and the beginning of September, I started thinking of 2021 Travels.  I started sharing my time between housework and Camper/Truck changes, with all intent to leave January 3, 2021.  That was my date and my plan.



I bought a new Tacoma to replace my 10 year old Tacoma.  I also had to modify the Tacoma to accept the camper.



The camper got changes too.  I was ready for 1/3/21.  That was Monday and as the day passed I felt a sense of loss.  Loss of my love to travel.  I have traveled for the last 7 years.

To all my friends who have reached out to me, that was so nice of you as I enjoy your company and visits during my travels.

I’m home for now.  

Could I go? Yes, but with preexisting conditions and hospitals not able to cope with the virus, it is not a wise move.  Remember I tripped and fell last year and dislocated my shoulder and needed a hospital.  Hard to avoid the obvious that things happen.

What would get me to go?  If I was a days ride away, not 5, I could go and get home if needed.  Well, that doesn’t work.  If the virus was like it was this past Sumer I think a trip would be reasonable.  And the obvious one is if I could get the vaccine.

I don’t see the virus subsiding anytime soon.  It is possible that by early February I could get the vaccine and get the second dose by the beginning of March.  Wait a week and head out and stay in the road into May.

I have considered not going to southwest now and heading to FL, as it’s only 2 day drive home.  Every time I think I have a plan then there is something else.  Now the more contagious mutated virus that is spreading around the country.  



So here I am at home in MA with my dislike of winter.

I will start sharing things I’ve done this summer to make my travels, whenever they start better for 2021.

Stay well and safe all.

Brent

macaloney@hotmail.com

2 comments:

  1. Probably like lots of others, I've been eagerly awaiting an update -- it was starting to seem like 2020(73) might be the coda.

    Disappointing, but each person has to assess the level of risk s/he is comfortable with.

    Also, to the extent one can generalize, the people in different areas of the country are taking different levels of precaution -- you'd be interacting with people at stores, gas stations, etc., who might have a different view of safety than you have.

    I just got back from Florida and as far as the people I saw were concerned, they didn't seem to think there was a pandemic or felt that masks didn't block release of exhaled aerosol respiratory particles into the environment. Since their lack of masks effect the people around them, I understand where you are coming from.

    Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Runner, Thanks for following.

      You are right that depending where you go in the country it is not the same with regard to mask wearing and social distancing. Although I think I could get by with my filtered masks and neck gator over that if needed, I need to play it safe and focus on the vaccine.

      I have vandwelling friends in many states and I keep up with them on what they are doing. AZ is the worse right mow with CA a near second.

      I may have to turn my travels I to a spring summer trip, and find someone to mow my lawn for awhile.😃

      Thanks,

      Brent

      Delete