Sunday, March 8, 2020

Hole- In-The-Wall / Mojave National Preserve



While I was in the Mojave Desert I stopped by to see Hole-In-The-Wall north of I40 in California.

My friend Roxy had recently been and I wanted to check it out sun I was in the area.



Here is my route to get there and back to Needles, CA for gas as there are long distances out there between gas stations.



There is a picture of the drive north.  I made the big loop up and back down so not to backtrack and see new things.  Basically, it is sparsely populated with long vistas.  There is some scenery as you head south towards Hole-In-The-Wall. 



The visitors center was closed the day I went.  The most popular trail is the rings/loop trail.



The trail goes down into this spot canyon.



I went down a a bit into the slot.  I found this rock plugging the slot a interesting formation.



I’m guessing this is Hole-In-The-Wall.  I aligned my photo to have the Mesa off in the distance fit in the hole.



Another picture down in the slot.



I made it only as far as the rings/loops.  If I was climbing up I believe I could have done it but with my shoulder still hurting from my dislocation, I opted to end my hike here as I don’t want to damage it more.



There are lots of holes at Hole-In-The-Wall.

Come explore and take the full ring/loop trail.  Try taking it clockwise to minimize fall risk going down the rings.  This is what I should have done.  Well, I may have to go next year after my shoulder has fully healed.

Brent 

macaloney@hotmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment