Friday, March 6, 2020

Grapevine Petroglyphs



Not far from Laughlin, NV there is a small canyon in the mountains where you will find a great selection of Petroglyphs.  

It’s Grapevine Canyon, NV.

I give credit for the heads up on this location to my Vandwelling friend Jeff Bowers, who just happens to come from the area in Massachusetts where I live.  He showcased his photos this winter on Facebook.

What’s humerus in a way is I’ve driven by the road to Grapevine Canyon for all of 7 years of my travels and didn’t know it was there.

I had some time before heading to Utah for the month of March, so I decided to head over before driving to Kingman, AZ, where I would Boondock for the night.

I enjoy people and running animals petroglyphs, and that is why I selected the first picture.  This panel can be found further in the canyon so do explore and look for it if you go.



Geometric shapes are always common on the panels in this area



i think it’s a person or someone special.  Of course it could be modern art in the day.



Another animal.


Way back in the canyon water still carves the rock.  This boulder found a spot to land and balance for years to come.



If your into it you can climb into any one of these caves carved by water millions of years ago.  Evidence still exists of Native Americans using them as shelters.



Way to busy on this panel.  I think some art has been added from the modern era.

If you find yourself in the Laughlin, NV/Bullhead City, AZ area in the future and have an hour to spend head out to see ancient art in Grapevine Canyon.

Brent

macaloney@hotmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment