Sunday, January 26, 2020

RTR 2020 - DBSA Presentation

This only a cursory review of the 2020 RTR as I only went to the seminars at the La Paz Fairgrounds in Parker, AZ for one day.  My focus is mostly on my one day of attendance.



Above photo is a Facebook screen capture.

There are many ways to learn about the RTR and corresponding WRTR (Woman’s RTR). This Facebook page, as well as, CheapRVLiving and HOWA webpages/RVillage posts.

My goal in attending the RTR in the past was to socialize with people I’ve made friends with in the past 6 years.  I didn’t go to the RTR for the seminars, unless I was helping my friend David with the small vehicle seminar.  I went for the community of people.

Bob Wells, the founder, is a good man in helping others.  I too go each year to help others too, but not having a centralized camp this year makes it more difficult.  Friends were spaced as far as 30 miles apart. I spent time going here and there to see as many as I could.  This was not the fun part of the event.  It took a lot of time to travel and get to where I would camp the next night.

I wish it would be different but I understand Bob Wells decision and how difficult it was for him and my friend Suanne, of HOWA,  to find a solution that would not be on blm land.  It did work this year, but not best for me.

I give Bob and Suanne, and their team they have assembled a lot of credit  for bringing the event forward this year.



I went Monday to the Fairgrounds and here is the Burningvan.  I was actually sad to think that there was no ending RTR campfire and the singing of the song and burning the van.  Alas, nothing lasts forever.



I went to the RTR Fairgrounds to support my good friend, and hiking buddy Joanne.  Joanne has taken on a big role of her own this year supporting vandwellers that suffer from depression and other similar disorders.  
Here is the webpage she works under - she has dubbed ther group the Nomad Chapter https://dbsahartford.org/

The turnout at the fairgrounds while I was there was modestly a hundred or so people.  Most seem to come for Joanne and Bob’s joint presentation/ discussion. 



Joanne to the left has been the precipice to start offering services to others in need of support to nomads.  Now with others to help she has expanded the services over the last year.

Today’s joint presentation with Bob Wells, to the right, is a culmination of hard work and dedication to recognize that Depression, Anxiety Bipolar Disorder, and other debilitating aspects that many deal with, are often part of Vandwelling and the Nomadic life that is chosen by many in Bob’s efforts.  



Above is a sampling of those in attendance of the presentation.  After they spoke, many went to the DBSA tent that had been set up to help educate others. It was so crowded that I couldn’t even approach Joanne to say goodbye and tell her she did a fantastic job.

Joanne’s presentation goes hand in hand with the fact that she and her group set up a camp this year just for people that feel they can relate. The daily gatherings were a safe and supportive place to go for those that suffer or may be suffering from related conditions.

I and a friend spent a few days on the periphery of this camp to be supportive of Joanne.  I found the group to be like most other groups with conversations around solar and vehicle charging, cooking and so on.  It was during their sessions that were for member only they had a safe environment to share.

I missed the old RTR this year and I guess it has morphed into many themed camps that disbursed past RTR goers in many directions.

Until next year.

Brent

macaloney@hotmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment