Tuesday, January 28, 2020

Lake Poway Loop Trail Hike

Hi All

Sorry for the empty post.  The software I use creates all new posts in published and I have to move the post to drafts to work on it.  I got distracted last night and I forgot to finish or move to draft.


I’ve been to Lake Poway before as this is the trailhead for the hike to Potato Chip Rock.

I was not shooting for Potato Chip Rock as my shoulder is still too sore to do that one, but the Lake Poway was the perfect trail for my convalescing.

I had just left the parking lot and was asked if this was “the” trailhead.  I assumed Potato Chip Rock Trail, and asked to confirm.  I assumed correctly😀.

The young couple we off on a good pace with all the energy they could muster.  They so much wanted their picture takes on the potato chip.

I told them that they needed to climb rocks and then jump over to the potato chip.  They didn’t seem to care about the extra effort.  I was all alone when I hiked it a number of years ago and the jump over was impressive to me to the extent that I didn’t jump for risk of falling the 8’ between the rocks.  Oh there is more room on the potato chip to jump over than the rock you jump from.



A nice loop hike on a good gravel path at 2.5 miles was just my speed.  On weekends they charge non residents but it was a weekday and I didn’t have to pay.



Above is the view from a high spot on the loop trail.  At the far end of the lake is the dam.



Yes there are some nice spots to stop and sit along the way, although I was a straight through hiker.



Off in the distance is another dam for Lake Ramona.

Down in the valley ahead there is another trail to hike up to this lake 2 miles away.



I’m almost fully around the lake counterclockwise.  The dam for Lake Poway in the foreground and the dam for Lake Ramona off in the distance.

A check of the map will show a number of options for trails in the area.  It’s also a great place for a picnic too.

Brent

macaloney@hotmail.com




No comments:

Post a Comment