Tuesday, March 9, 2021

Ham Radio In FWC


I got my Ham Radio License a couple years ago, in part to stay in contact with friends on hikes, safety off-grid, and amusement. I was initially licensed as KC1KOV. 

PS. After testing up to the top of Hsm Radio levels, I was given a vanity call sign of WM1T.  I waned the change to designate I was operating at the Advanced level and shorten the phonics of the call sign, Whisky, Mike, One, Tango.  Much easier than Kilo Charlie One Kilo Charlie Victor.

My Vandweller friend Dan Cordray KD4PWP had recommended The Rafio in the picture above.  It’s a a Yaesu FT-891.  I was lucky enough to find one on sale from a Ham in a neighboring city and bought it.

There are a couple things you need to use the radio in addition to a license, and they are power and antenna



Above is my solution to power for my Ham Radio.  I added a bulkhead Anderson Power Pole connection to plug into.  This is connected to my solar charging battery system.



For the antenna I needed a way of getting the antenna outside and not leave the door cracked with the wire hanging out.  Above is a straight hole through the front wall of the camper.



On the opposite side I made a bulkhead connector for my antenna to tie into. As shown above.



Lastly I needed to mount my antenna.  I chose a stick antenna system where I have a magnet base mounted to my FWC roof.  (Picture above) This antenna system has a different stick to screw into the base based on the shortwave frequency band I am operating on.

I can switch to VHF and UHF using the same antenna bulkhead connected to an antenna to match those frequencies connected to my portable

On my travels this past winter, I checked nitro a number of shortwave contacts up around 500 miles away.  In case of emergency and no cell service this method can get a message out if needed.

I do not drive with that tall antenna mounted and I am only on VHF/UHF while driving. Usually monitoring 146.52.

This antenna will also mount to the top of my painters pole antenna mount, I built and covered under separate blog post to mount tv antenna.

Brent
macaloney@hotmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment