Sunday, February 9, 2020

Two Reasons To Go To Oatman, AZ

had two reasons to go to the very small town of Oatman, AZ this year.



I had arrived in Parker, AZ from 29 Palms, CA the evening before, having driven 129 miles.  Today would be about a 2 hour drive to Oatman, stopping to get gas in Parker before heading north.  

It was a cold blustery day, with a cold front pushing the 77 degree temps the day before out of the area for awhile.

The reason for the trip was twofold as I had a Vandweller friend Nancy, who was south of Bullhead City, AZ with friends and I had some curtain parts I offered to give her.  She asked if I was interested in going to see the donkeys in Oatman and meet there.  I hadn’t been to Oatman, therefore it was on my list of places to go.  

Another vandweller friend Susan happened to be in Lake Havasu City, and I was going right through there on my way to Oatman, so we arranged to meet and she came along to see Oatman again a Nancy is also her friend.



Oatman is on a hillside on Historic RT 66.  The road to town is one of the old two lane roads that twists through the desert up into the mountains.  Above shows the motif of the town as one of an old time western town 



The town is touristy but well with the visit



Donkeys are everywhere in town so caution is needed especially with children.  Leave dogs in your car or stay away from donkeys as they will kick dogs.



The parking lot donkey greeted us - he was very noisy with his hehaw.



These two were a bit rambunctious between parked cars.



The local Kiwanis group hold gunfights on main street at noon, each day shutting down traffic for a few minutes.  They ask for donations for their children’s charity.  Not all shows are the same so if you go more than once you should see different shows.  Gunfire is loud!



Here comes the Sheriff.  He tricked the bank robbers and settled the score.

What a fun day, although a bit cold and windy.  It was ok standing in the storefront boardwalk in the sun to stay warm for the show.

I now have another place to take off my list of things to see and I got to see Nancy again as our paths cross in the southwest.

Brent

macaloney@hotmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment