Saturday, January 23, 2016

Julian Pies


While visiting Borrego Springs, CA I got the idea of driving up into the mountains west of here to the town of Julian, CA.

(Map from Google Maps)

Julian is about half way between the Salton Sea and San Diego in the mountains between the two.


The drive/climb up in the car was beautiful although not being a sunny day.

Basically all the land you see above is part of the Anza Borrego Desert State Park. 

http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=638


In this view closer in is the Anza Borrego Desert State Park and further out is the Ocotillo Wells State Recreation Area, both are operated by the State of California.

The best part is that both offer free disbursed camping.  More on these two State Areas in a separate post.


Upon reaching the top of the mountains the land levels out to sloping land with hills.


I arrive in Julian in less than an hour


There are a few companies that make pies, with Apple the most popular.  I visit Mom's.  It's been many years since I've been here.  


Apple dumplings are just the right size for me!


Back at me camp with desert after I cook my pork rib dinner.

Brent

macaloney@hotmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment